Northlink College, one of the leading FET Colleges in South Africa, started their 10th anniversary celebrations in the month of September 2012. Celebrations were held on all of its seven campuses, that includes (Bellville, Belhar, Protea, Parow, Tygerberg, Goodwood and Wingfield) and included the releasing of 100 balloons at the campuses and the Central Office at on Monday, 3 September 2012.
For the past 10 years Northlink has been an active citizen in the expansion of knowledge through education and training not only in Cape Town, but in the province and the country. By providing quality education and training in various fields of study and being the preferred provider for skills and artisan training for some of the leading organisations in the private sector, Northlink has become known as one of the most innovative and affordable FET Colleges in the country.
Says Mr. Leon Beech, Northlink College CEO: “Northlink College will continue to build, grow and be dedicated to providing quality education, training and client satisfaction for years to come.”
Here are a few of highlights of the past 10 years of Northlink College:
• Northlink is one of the public FET Colleges with the highest number of learnerships and skills students in South Africa (2002 – 2012)
• In 2005 Northlink was the only college nationally that developed a quality management system (QMS) to emphasize quality education and training
• In 2006 Northlink, under the guidance of Trish van der Merwe, helped to bring the MOT programme to South Africa that has been successful in imparting life skills to the students in the six FET Colleges in the Western Cape
• In 2007 Northlink focused on the implementation of the National Certificate (Vocational) level 2 programmes
• In 2008 a sophisticated and well equipped technical centre of excellence was inaugurated at the Wingfield Campus
• In 2009 Northlink launched a client information system (CIS) with a fully equipped and functional call centre – the first of its kind for a college in the Western Cape. This system handles all the enquiries and applications electronically up to the point of registration
• In 2009 Northlink moved into use of its new “green” Central Office and is one of the first colleges in the country that has its own central office. This office is environmentally friendly, brand new and the boardroom is furnished with furniture that has been hand made by lecturers and students of the College
• The Bellville Campus, with the financial support from the Western Cape Education Department (WCED), continues towards completion and will serve as a model of a typical FET facility. The Campus is situated in a suburb with excellent training facilities and lecturing staff (2002 – 2012)
• Northlink is the only FET College in South Africa with its own International Language School that was established in 2000
• 2011 Northlink hosted the first National FET Student Support Conference held in Stellenbosch
• 2012 Northlink hosted the first International Quality Conference in Cape Town
• 2012 Northlink has a record breaking intake of môre than 10 000 students
“Northlink College will be commemorating their 10th anniversary with a number of events and initiatives that will not only celebrate their 10 years in the industry but also the support from their stakeholders,” says Trish van der Merwe, DCEO: Innovation and Development: Northlink College.