Northlink College has built a reputation as one of the leading Colleges in the field of Hairdressing in South Africa. As a career-orientated educational institution, the College prepares its learners for a future filled with opportunities, prosperity and quality of life. This course is offered on a full-time and part-time basis at the department of Hair and Aesthetics at the Northlink College Parow Campus.
This course has a big practical component therefore live clients/ models will be needed. Learners are responsible for all clients/ models needed to complete an assignment/ practical or assessment successfully. Learners must adhere to the minimum amount of models/clients prescribed in a Learning Unit; otherwise they might forfeit their opportunity to do an assessment.
Full Time learners are placed in the salon of their choice, once a week and every other weekend.
Part-time learners attend College once a week and during assessments twice a week.
Course fees include equipment, uniform, assessment, text books and consumables for practical classes.
A 100% attendance policy is enforced. Hours are strictly monitored by the Facilitator and Programme Manager.
Frequent professional seminars and demonstrations by technicians from product houses / manufacturers are held where students gain product knowledge and hands-on experience.
This qualification enables learners to develop towards becoming professional hairdressers. This is the first of three qualifications which culminate in a professional hairdressing qualification. This qualification is designed to serve as an introduction to the hairdressing industry and provide the learner with the basics of hairdressing. In particular, the qualification should result in the learner becoming a competent Operator.
Grade 9, 16 years or older
- Learning Unit 1: Perform basic reception and administrative services
- Learning Unit 2: Demonstrate an understanding of the services sector
- Learning Unit 3: Maintain a professional standard of health and cleanliness in the salon
- Learning Unit 4: Perform elementary hairdressing services
- Learning Unit 5: Promote salon products and services
- Learning Unit 6: Communication and Mathematical Literacy
- Learning Unit 7: Electives – Perform advanced massage in a hairdressing environment.
- Perform a hair relaxing service